Trademark Registration in Macedonia - Call on Our Specialists
Trademark Registration in MacedoniaUpdated on Friday 28th January 2022
Rate this article
based on 2 reviews.
based on 2 reviews.
The State Office of Industrial Property of Macedonia is the institution that accepts applications for trademark registration. This process is essential for existing companies in the country to protect their business and brand. Find out from our lawyers in Macedonia what the trademark registration process is and how you can get legal support from our specialists.
Trademark registration conditions in Macedonia
It is important to note from the beginning that Macedonia is part of the Madrid Protocol, and the registration of a trademark in that country does not mean that it should be used only here. In other words, trademark registration is mandatory, but there are cases where unregistered ones are protected by law. Here is some other important information about registering a trademark in Macedonia:
- Numbers, letters, drawings, signs, and other similar elements are accepted as a trademark for a company.
- Those who use words that are separate from the logo are advised to register them separately. The same is true of the reverse.
- Fill in the standard forms, with information about the trademark and the one who wants to register.
- The goods and services for which the respective logo will be used will be mentioned.
- Those interested can contest a trademark of a company, 3 months after its publication in the Official Gazette.
Please note that the relevant authorities and more specifically the Patent Office in Macedonia will carry out certain checks to ensure that the trademark has not been stolen or copied. For any trademark formalities in Macedonia, our lawyers are at your disposal.
What is the validity of a trademark in Macedonia?
Those who decide to register a trademark should know that it is valid for 10 years and can be renewed for another 10 years. It is also important to note that the renewal must be done at least one year before the expiration, but it can also be done within 9 months from the expiration date. Please note that it is possible to pay penalties for delaying trademark renewal in Macedonia.
The time frame for trademark registration in Macedonia
The process of registering a trademark in Macedonia is quite simple if you take into account the required formalities, but also the legal help offered by our team of lawyers specialized in such procedures. Registration can normally take between 6 and 12 months. We remind you that we can represent foreign clients with the help of a power of attorney if they want to register a trademark.
What if I haven't used a trademark in a few years?
Under current law, trademark owners who do not use it for 5 consecutive years must be aware that this document may be canceled if a third party intervenes and wishes to do so. However, in order to benefit from all the information and rights you have, it is good to talk to a legal advisor. We invite you to get in touch with our Macedonian lawyers and benefit from specialized support.
Advantages of trademark registration in Macedonia
From the outset, it is important to note that trademark registration in Macedonia guarantees the security of the image of the company you own. Thus, the goods and services with the chosen identity are protected in case of violation of property rights.
You should also know that you can be compensated if your company's identity is damaged and the trademark is used without rights. Another important advantage to keep in mind is that if you discover that your logo has been used by another company, those products will be subject to verification and destruction.
So, if you encounter such problems, do not hesitate to contact our lawyers in Macedonia and find out more about how to register a trademark in Macedonia.
Here is some information and statistics about business in Macedonia, which may be of interest to you if you want to start a business in this country:
- Over $ 7.3 billion was the total FDI for Macedonia in 2020.
- Foreigners can enjoy a new investment strategy that was also adopted in 2020.
- According to the 2020 Doing Business report, Macedonia ranked 17th out of 190 economies in the world in terms of business conditions and favorable climate.
- The corporate tax rate in Macedonia is 10% and is an important advantage for foreign investors.
Are you interested in registering a trademark in Macedonia? You can contact our law firm in Macedonia and discuss all legal issues.