North Macedonia Citizenship - Updated Guide for 2023
Citizenship in MacedoniaUpdated on Monday 20th March 2023
Rate this article
based on 2 reviews.
based on 2 reviews.
North Macedonia citizenship is based on Jus Sanguinis and can be obtained if the respective applicant proves that he/she has parents with origins in this country, regardless of their place of birth. Citizenship in this country can also be obtained through naturalization.
In the following lines, you can discover the main formalities related to citizenship in Macedonia, with the mention that you can be helped from a legal point of view by our immigration lawyers in Macedonia. You can also collaborate with us if you are interested in immigration to Macedonia.
The processing time for obtaining citizenship by investment in North Macedonia ranges between 2 to 5 months. Obtaining Macedonian citizenship allows you to travel without restrictions to Turkey, Singapore, Hong Kong, and the Schengen Area. You should contact a lawyer and benefit from legal advice for getting this status.
Formalities to obtain North Macedonian citizenship in 2023
North Macedonia citizenship by naturalization can be obtained by people who have already turned 18 and who prove that they have lived in this country with a residence permit. Here is some important information in this regard:
- Foreign citizens who have lived in Macedonia for at least 8 years can apply for citizenship through naturalization. The residence permit must be presented in this case.
- Knowledge of the Macedonian language is another formality that you must take into account when applying for North Macedonia citizenship.
- The authorities can carry out strict checks to ensure that the candidates are not in trouble with the law and do not represent a threat to Macedonia.
- There are no restrictions on renouncing the current citizenship.
Considering these formalities and information, you can get in touch with one of our immigration lawyers in Macedonia. We can help you relocate to Macedonia as soon as possible.
How can you gain North Macedonia citizenship by investment?
You have the opportunity to make investments to gain North Macedonia citizenship in 2023 if you are interested in this status. Among the formalities we mention:
- A contribution of at least EUR 200,000 to the government, plus a fee of around EUR 20,000 and EUR 10,000 for each member involved in the process (children under 18).
- There are no formalities regarding knowledge of the language or management conditions.
- It is necessary to present a clear criminal record. The authorities can make checks to ensure that the applicants have not entered the territory of Macedonia illegally.
- Due diligence checks are necessary, plus a pre-screening and these procedures can last around 4 weeks.
Once all the formalities are respected and you receive the consent of the immigration authorities, North Macedonia citizenship can be obtained, as well as the Macedonian passport.
Citizenship by investment in Macedonia has been curated in 2021, allowing investment options through development funds, and aligning with other European citizenship programs and policies.
We recommend that you get in touch with our immigration lawyers in Macedonia and find out more about obtaining citizenship. We can also help you if you want to move to Macedonia.
North Macedonian citizenship by marriage
As mentioned above in this article, North Macedonia citizenship by marriage is possible. In other words, people married to Macedonian citizens can apply for citizenship if they have already lived in this country for 3 years. In this process, you will have to present your birth and marriage certificate, as well as your residence permit. Mention in this sense that there is no need to prove your current citizenship because you will not be forced to give it up.
Here are some interesting statistical data about immigration to Macedonia:
- The data from 2022 show around 0.38% of immigrants per 1,000 population.
- In 2021, Macedonia had a population of approximately 2,065 million.
- In 2020, the immigration rate was approximately 10.23 immigrants per 1,000 population.
Applying for citizenship in Macedonia in exchange for specific investments is subject to varied formalities and procedures. Besides that, it is good to note that the program only allows 1,000 applicants per year, meaning only 1,000 are accepted.
If you want information about North Macedonia citizenship in 2023, we recommend you contact our law firm. We can also explain the formalities if you would like to move to Macedonia.